Main Website

Wednesday 10 April 2013

Sound: Now Accepting Pro Tools 11


Just about 10 minutes ago I ordered my first ever copy of Pro Tools (which I keep typing "Pro TOols"). That isn't to say that I have no experience with manipulating audio on computers. I do, and lots of it, making music and mixing multi-track recordings over the years in Cubase, Live, Reason, Reaper, Sound Forge and Audacity.


The problem is that with the exception of maybe Cubase, none of those other are considered, by non sound people, as professional level DAW's. People always ask "do you use Pro Tools?", a question that I have always staunchly replied "no...". 

That response, to many, simply implies that you don't operate at a level at which you require the use of such advanced software as Pro Tools. The fact is though that the standard (non HD) falvour of Pro Tools costs pretty much the same money as Ableton Live or Cubase, or even Sonar along with pretty much any of the other audio manipulation tools out there (around and about the £500 mark).

You might think that I'm leading you down a dark alley-way in order to tell you Pro Tools is for poseurs and those who don't really know what they are doing. The contrary couldn't be more true. The fact is that it is a professional grade piece of software, which is incredibly powerful and has been used by industry leaders for a great number of years. As such, it has a dedicated following, a large user base and is thus taught at pretty much all of the places that teach audio.

Now I have it too. I needed it to get work, which has already been worked on in Pro Tools in other studios elsewhere. They can now share their projects with me and I can open them work in them and send them back as complete projects for re-integration into their own workflows.



N.B. At time of writing we are on the precipice of Pro Tools 11. It has been stated by Avid that any version of Pro Tools registered after April 7th 2013 will be upgraded to version 11. As I type the last copies of PT9 are being ssold at £391 (bundled with the cheap M-Box Mini). That will save you £160 on the boxed brand new copy of version 11, even though it is the exact same product, in a different box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please avoid straight out slander and any offensive behaviour. I just can't be bothered with users who find the need to do that. Thanks